For patients with critical or life-threatening cancer, palliative care is also advised to improve their quality of life. This care is meant to support curative care and address the problems faced by patients. This care aims to prevent or treat the cancer symptoms along with their side effects by providing psychological, social, and emotional support to the patient.
At the Best Palliative Care Treatment Hospital in Noida, we are dedicated to helping cancer patients in every way possible. We understand that the patients go from emotional and mental turmoil the moment they are diagnosed with cancer. The psychological burden becomes heavier as the patient progresses to the treatment stage. The side effects of the treatment may impact the patient emotionally and mentally. The patient may lose self-confidence and may feel inferior to others. Cancer is not only restricted to the physiological body but it impacts the entire person as a whole. Hence, our palliative care focuses on providing patients with the required support and making them feel whole. We strongly believe that the treatment will only be effective if the patient wants it to or feels good from the inside.
Our palliative care includes:
- Management of chronic pain and other symptoms.
- Compassionate counselling and support.
- Help patients and their families regarding life-prolonging therapy.
- Assistance with an advance directive such as living wills.
- Spiritual care.
- Referral to hospice.
- Bereavement services.
All the physical and emotional effects of cancer and its treatment vary in patients. Hence, palliative care is a highly individualized program which addresses patients’ issues. It includes:
- Physical care: This involves addressing symptoms such as pain, fatigue, vomiting, nausea, and so on.
- Emotional care: This involves helping the patients and their families to deal with emotions such as depression, anxiety, fear, and so on.
- Spiritual care: This helps the patients in finding the meaning of their lives. Some patients experience a strong connection with spiritual beliefs than others. The therapy helps both patients restore their faith, and values, and reaching to a stage of acceptance.
- Caregiver needs: The close friends or families of the patients may sometimes find it difficult to take care of the patient. Some may get overwhelmed by the responsibilities and find it difficult to manage. This therapy helps the friends and families of the patient to cope with the support they need.
Palliative care can be started at any point of the cancer care right from diagnosis to the end f life. The patient receives cancer treatment along with palliative care. On the other hand, hospice care only begins when the curative treatment is over. The only focus of hospice care, thus, is to improve the quality of life of the patient after cancer treatment.
Palliative care helps patients and their families at every step of cancer from diagnosis to treatment and even to hospice care. It helps them by:
- Preparing them for the physical changes that may occur during and after the treatment.
- Helping them cope with different emotional issues and thoughts during their treatment.
- Providing the necessary support to the patient families or caregivers.